Thursday, September 6, 2012


Today was spent much like yesterday in terms of logistics and events.  However, while here I’ve quickly learned to expect the unexpected.  Even though what appears on primetime television for the DNC is generally highly scripted, the caucus meetings and other events help to take high-profile attendees and put them in the shoes of normal people, forcing them to be seen and interact with fans.  Recognizable people in the media and politics are swarming this event because of its magnitude.  I think it shows a lot about a person’s character when they make the effort to come to large public events like this because it shows a genuine passion and dedication.  One of my favorite quotes to live by is “Work hard.  Stay humble.”  It is really refreshing to see individuals who hold up that standard and try to educate rather than walk over.  

While I am enjoying my free time, for journalists, politicians, and others attending events such as these this job is “work.”  For me, it is such a thrill to be here, and I’m not sure that I would ever want a job so intense that it would cause me to lose seeing the fun and excitement behind politics (Seeing so many professionals here reminds me that a good job in politics will let me attend events like this!).  On a side note, administering surveys is a fairly straightforward job with the occasionally awkward introduction or disinterested conventioneer.  Today, I spotted Gloria Allred just sitting at a table like all of the other lunch-eating patrons, typing away on her computer and seldom looking up.  Considering the lunch tables are my favorite spot to hand out surveys because of its convenience, I kept wondering what would have happened had I blindly walked up to her with a survey in hand.  None the less, despite my monotonous job as Queen survey hand out-er, I refrained.

No comments:

Post a Comment