Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 1: The Introductions.


Tonight, I was reminded that the original “social network” did not involve statuses, updates, or 140 characters (unless you are referring to a really great party with 140 really entertaining people in attendance). At the reception that was held at the Grand Hyatt for the Georgia delegation, I realized that the best way to make it and get involved in the world of politics is to… get involved. I met some of the most fascinating and passionate people tonight, but above all, they were dedicated. After meeting a number of delegates and Georgia GOP members and introducing myself, telling them my purpose for being there, and getting to know them a little bit, it was clear that they care so much for the causes for which the Republican National Convention stands. A number of them looked me straight in the eye and told me how proud they were that there were still young people who care about politics. That in itself was enough for me to consider this trip a success.
The overlying theme of this week has overwhelmingly been the coverage of the hurricane.  We were actually wondering about the consequences that the canceled events would have on our research. Much to our surprise, the sun was shining in Tampa on more than one occasion today and we were able to not only start our research, but as I mentioned before, get our names out there and make our first impressions with the delegation.
As far as first impressions go, I would have to say that I found that the delegates to be some of the most helpful, kind individuals. Between the initial excitement of actually being able to take part in a few events and conversing with the delegates, I’d peg Monday as a fantastic introduction to our research. I’m so excited to actually begin working and see what happens when the actual convention gets going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment