Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day with the Delegation

Today was absolutely incredible. The Political Science students including: Chase Duvall, Weston Slaton, and I (along with the KSU Communications students and Dr. Swint) attended our first event with the Georgia delegation as a part of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. The Georgia delegation has been incredibly accommodating to us, and for that I am incredibly grateful. Tonight I met some of the most genuine and interesting people in Georgia politics. Among said people, are: Sue Everhart, Stephen Aaron, Bill Adler, Russ Carpenter, Rob Doll, Joe Dendy, Elliott Echols, David Futral, Kay Godwin, Ralph Hudgens, Suzanne Hudgens, Bryan Miller, Bob and Toria Morgan.

The weather was certainly a concern for many convention-goers here in Tampa. However, the ever-looming threat of torrential downpour did not stop members of the Georgia delegation from attending the first official meeting of the Republican National Convention at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

Today at the Georgia Delegation hotel, I was fortunate enough to meet many people involved in the Republican Party; among those people, was At-Large Alternate Delegate, Stephen Aaron. I met Stephen in May at Georgia’s state GOP convention in May; and ran into him again at the delegation hotel. Stephen is a student at ABAC in Tifton, GA; and is very proud to be a part of this National convention.

Overall, the Georgia delegation and guests seemed very excited to have young people that are interested in politics, be a part of such an important process that is the Republican National Convention. My Political Science colleagues and I look forward to meeting more members and guests of the Georgia Delegation. Additionally, we hope to encounter members of other state delegations.

Tomorrow I will be attending the Republican National Convention at the Tampa Bay Times Forum. I am very excited to post details about many of the key-note speakers. I will be using Twitter throughout the day tomorrow to post information about my experiences at the convention.

Follow me @kylemchappell

No comments:

Post a Comment